This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

When We Are Closedclosed_sign


Call 111 for when it is less urgent than 999

What is 111?

NHS 111 is a new telephone service being introduced to help make it easier for you to access local health services.  If you live in Oxfordshire, you can now call 111 when you need help fast, but it isn't a 999 emergency.  The 111 service is currently not available in border areas with phone numbers starting 0881, 01793, 01280 and 01844


You can ring 111, 365 days a year, to reach a full range of local health services, including out of hours, doctors, community nurses, emergency dental care and late opening chemists.


111 calls from landlines and mobile phones are free – just like 999.


Type Text Talk for Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing People

The 111 service is also available via typetalk on number 18001 111


How does it work?

111 will get you through to a team of highly-trained advisers, who are supported by experienced nurses. They will assess your symptoms and guide you to the right local service.

Wherever possible, the NHS 111 team will transfer you directly to the people you need to speak to. If they think you need an ambulance, they will send one immediately – just as if you had originally dialled 999.


When do I use it?

People should use the NHS 111 service if they need help or advice urgently but it’s not a life-threatening situation. You should call 111 if:

  • it’s not a 999 emergency;
  • you don’t think it can wait for an appointment with your GP; or
  • you don’t know who to call for medical help.


For less urgent health needs, you should still contact your GP or dentist in the usual way, and for immediate, life-threatening, emergencies please continue to call 999.


Why should I use it?

NHS 111 is a fast and convenient way to get the right help – whatever your need, wherever you are, and whatever the time.

It can also help us to free up 999 and local A&E departments so that they can focus on emergency cases.


What if I have already been given a number to call for a condition I have?

If you are already receiving healthcare and a health professional has given you a specific telephone number to call when you are concerned about your condition, please continue to use that number.


What if I live outside Oxfordshire?

The NHS 111 service is not available everywhere in the UK. If you are outside of

Oxfordshire, please contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647.


Information in another language?

To download NHS 111 information in a different language please visit NHS Choices website -


Out-of-hours services are generally busy so please think carefully before asking to see a doctor and only do so if you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.  

There is also a Minor Injuries Unit based at the Witney Community Hospital. This is a "drop-in" facility for minor injuries and emergency contraception only and is open daily between 10:00 - 22:00.

Outside of normal surgery hours emergency cover is the responsibility of NHS Oxfordshire.  If you call the usual surgery number (01993 700505) during these times you will be directed to the service. If for any reason, you are able to get connected to NHS 111  then call 0845 3458995

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website